Connect with us

Axiata Group Acquires 80% Stake In Nepal’s Ncell

The Business of Telecommunications

Axiata Group Acquires 80% Stake In Nepal’s Ncell

Malaysian-based Axiata Group, the telecommunications company with presence in six countries has expanded into Nepal by acquiring 80% stake in Ncell Pte Ltd, the largest telecom service provider in the country. The acquisition was closed for US$1.365 billion (RM5.907 billion). The rest 20% share in Ncell will be retained by a local partner Sunivera Capital Venture.

Merger

Commenting on the acquisition, Axiata president and Group Chief Executive Officer Datuk Seri Jamaludin Ibrahim said, “The addition of Ncell into the Axiata network of mobile operators marks yet another significant milestone for the Group, in terms of solidifying our strong hold in the South Asian region.”

He said the target is to meet the growing data demands of young and maturing Nepali market. The company will focus on rolling out high-speed data connection, exciting products, and services.

Ncell is the largest operator in Nepal with a subscriber base of 13 million. It has a total subscriber market share of 48.8%. The company registered a revenue CAGR of 19.9% between the financial year 2013 (FY13) and FY15, with an EBITDA margin of 62.2% in FY15. Its return on invested capital was over 70% in FY15.

“As with all our investments, we see our entry into Nepal as a long-term strategic move for the group. At the same time, Axiata is also committed to playing a major part in the development of the country by offering high-speed data connectivity and products on par with its economic progress. Being a responsible corporate citizen and a major contributor to the country’s economy is key to our long-term vision,” Jamaludin added.

Following the acquisition of Ncell, Axiata’s presence and reach in South East Asia has covered a total population of 2 billion. The Axiata group operates in Malaysia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Cambodia, and Nepal.

Ria Lakshman. V is a lead news writer at The Telecom Times. She studied Journalism at Manipal School of Communication and proceeded to work in newspapers and magazines, with technology as her focus area. Passionate about Telecommunications sector, her move to 'The Telecom Times' was a natural choice. Alongside, she also writes for Telecom Talk, where she covers news and tech commentaries in the sector of telecom. In the free time, Ria loves to go camping, read books, or sketch illustrations. She also runs a local design studio and promotes eco-friendly crafts. Ria can be found sharing her knowledge and insights on Twitter.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Trending

Contributors

RSS Technology – Hardware

RSS Technology – Networks

RSS Technology – Robotics

RSS Technology -Semiconductors / Chips

RSS Technology – Software

RSS Telecommunications – Networks

RSS Telecommunications – Services

To Top